Dental Braces – Dental Braces are often used to correct certain kinds of dental problems like mal-alignment, malocclusion, deep bite, over bite, open bite, cross bite, over jet and crooked teeth. Braces should be thought as a treatment option from cosmetic or functional point of view. Dental braces may be often used in conjunction with other orthodontic appliances to help widen the palate or jaws and to assist in aligning teeth and jaws.
Dental Braces are used to straighten and align teeth. They help in getting teeth in its final position.
Types of Dental Braces:
- Clear Aligners or Clear Braces – Aligner is the most recent type of braces. A set of aligners are used to gradually move teeth into their final positions. Aligners are contraindicated for complex orthodontic cases. This technique works by only tilting or rotating the teeth unlike the traditional braces which can shift the whole tooth parallel.These are invisible braces and there is no need for wires hence are called as clear braces. Unlike traditional braces, they have to be removed to eat and one must brush and floss after every meal. Each set of aligner is worn for about 2 weeks depending upon the manufacturer’s instructions.Every new aligner forces the teeth to move to fit the new mould. The total treatment time averages 9–30 months and the average number of aligners worn is 18 to 35 depending upon the case.
- Lingual Braces are a cosmetic alternative in which custom made braces are bonded to the back of the teeth making them invisible.
- Clear Ceramic Hygienic Braces serve as a cosmetic alternative to traditional metal braces bonded on the front surfaces of the teeth and blend with the natural colour of the teeth or have a less conspicuous or hidden appearance. They are the most common type of braces and are widely used. They are made of ceramic and function in a similar manner to traditional metal braces. Clear elastic ties are available for use with these braces to help the look less conspicuous. Its design is such that it is easy for the patients to clean their mouth and are least painful.
- Metal Hygienic Braces are made ofdental steel. Traditional metal braces are the most common type of braces. The design of these braces is such that it eases the teeth brushing. These braces have elastics that hold the wire onto the metal brackets.
Complications and Risks:
- You may experience some pain following fitting and activation of your fixed orthodontic braces.
- In order to prevent easy lodgement of food around braces, use Orthodontic mouthwash and Interdental brush as prescribed to you by us.
- Braces may irritate your skin inside your mouth. To avoid this, place Orthodontic wax on your braces.
- Avoid the use of hard and sticky foods like raw carrot, toffee, chikki, peanut, groundnut, dry fruit, etc as it may debond braces.
- During the Braces treatment, when the teeth move, the wire may become displaced causing it to poke the back of the cheek. Application of the orthodontic wax on the wire may relieve the discomfort.
- Orthodontic treatment must be avoided in gum disease cases as Bone loss due to gum disease may lead to tooth loss during treatment.
- Changes in the shape of the face, jaw and cheekbones may also occur as a result of wearing braces. Some patients may wish to discuss these potential changes before starting treatment with us.
- In case if your braces get debonded from your teeth, please contact us immediately on 9819188371.