Pain in Upper Back Teeth and Sinus Problem
Anatomy of the Sinus
Sinus: It is the inflammation of your nasal passage lining. When cold persists for more than two weeks it can develop into an Acute Sinus Infection. It begins in your maxillary sinuses that are located just above your upper molar teeth roots and can swell with the accumulation of bacterial or viral mucus. The swelling puts pressure on teeth nerve endings which causes a painful sensation on the affected teeth.
Sinus problem leading to Teeth Pain
Knowing the anatomy of the placement of the roots of the upper teeth in relation to the Maxillary sinus, it is clearly understood that the sinus has direct correlation with the upper rear teeth. Infection and inflammation of the sinus causes swelling in sinus through which the infection may spread to the roots of the upper rear teeth. You may misunderstand that you have dental discomfort but it is not so. Do consult us to know more about this sinus problem leading to teeth pain.
1. Drink Fluids and Use Steam – Water hydrates the mucus membrane and decreases mucus accumulation. Therefore, have fluids on hand to stay hydrated.If you become dehydrated prefer electrolytes over water as itcontains magnesium, potassium and sodium. Magnesium supports immune system and helps to fight both bacterial and viral sinus infections.Use nasal steam or a peppermint steam solution to your daily care as Peppermint and steam both help cut decongestion and pain. Enjoy drinking hot tea or coffee.
2. Eat Spicy Foods – In case of a sensitive palate, enjoy foods like horseradish and chili peppers as the ingredients in both of these have mucus-thinning properties and can give you an instant sense of relief. Remember that not all spicy foods work equally.
3. Use an Expectorant – Drain the mucus to relieve the pain which decreases the pressure in your sinuses. Decongestants and Expectorants can provide fast relief. Expectorants meltmucus while Decongestants effectively dry out the passages to relieve the pressure.
4. Sleep – Sleep increases your body’s general resistances as body has an opportunity to produce white blood cells and cytokines, which “enhance immunity”.Take proper bed rest.
5. Position Your Head for the Best Drainage – When resting, keep your head in a propped, tilted position to relive pain. Avoid horizontal position as lying in horizontal position can cause blockage and continued pressure.
Teeth Infection causes Sinus Pain
Knowing the anatomy of the placement of the roots of the upper teeth in relation to the Maxillary sinus, it is clearly understood that the sinus has direct correlation with the upper rear teeth.When your upper back teeth have decay or cavity, it is likely to get infected. The infection from the roots of the affected teeth may enter the maxillary sinus through its floor. This may lead to the pain in sinus. This adds worry and brings you to the doorsteps of your physician’s or specialist’s clinic.
But in such cases it is only the Dentist who can help you. We will prescribe you medications that will take care of your tooth pain and sinus pain. We are the better judges for such discomforts.
1. Dental Prescription – To relive your infection we will prescribe you with antibiotic coverage that is suitable for both your teeth and sinus. Also, to relieve your pain we will prescribe you specific painkiller that suits you keeping in mind your past and present medical condition, any known medicine allergy, age and weight. In case of any other specific treatment modality will be prescribed if needed. We assure you that you are in safe hands.
2. Root Canal Treatment – All the affected teeth should undergo Root canal treatment under local anaesthesia provided the tooth is in the position to be saved. The decision to save the tooth is confirmed after taking X-ray of the affected teeth. To know more about the Root Canal Treatment do visit our respective service page on our website, “www.belle32.dentist”.
3. Extraction – In case the affected teeth are not in the position to be saved or when they are grossly decayed or grossly destructed, there is no other option but to remove the tooth under local anaesthesia. The decision to save the tooth is confirmed after taking X-ray of the affected teeth. To know more about the Tooth Extraction do visit our respective service page on our website, “www.belle32.dentist”.
It is vital to determine whether a sinus infection is the cause of your toothache. Consult us at Belle 32 Family Dental Clinic if the sinus pain originates in your teeth. To book an appointment with us, call us at out Emergency Dental Care Number 9819188371.